SOCCER TEAM DEFEATS JUMBOS 6-3 IN OPENER

FORWARDS EXCEED EXPECTATION IN ACCURATE ATTACK

Outplaying an above average Tufts aggregation, 6-3, the Varsity soccer team opened the 1935 season on a winning basis here yesterday afternoon.

With at least one tally in each period the Crimson forward line displayed sufficient brilliance to surpass expectation and equal hope for its initial performance.

Manheimer Scores

On the opening kickoff Leon Manheimer passed to Tom Motley. Then Tom to Ted Motley to Tom to Leon and into the goal for Harvard's first score.

Almost immediately the Jumbos tied it up from scrimmage. And not until the succeeding canto did the Crimson go decisively to the fore.

In the second period Harvard put on the pressure and was keeping Tufts pretty well bottled up in its own half of the field. Here Carr's forwards put on their best play of the afternoon.

Motley Scores

Ted Motley rang the bell three times. Twice his mates, Manheimer and Motley set the ball up for him when they stole the ball from the opposition and passed quickly and accurately. The other time saw Motley blast it into the corner from a scrimmage several yards out.

On all three occasions the scorer put the ball away on his first crack at it, an art which until yesterday Coach Carr's men had shown little sign of mastering.

In the second half Harvard scored twice; Tufts once. As expected Captain Dorman was the bulwark of the Crimson defense.