STUDENTS FIND WORK IN MULTIFEROUS FORMS

JOBS HAVE INSTRUCTIVE VALUE DUE TO CHANGE MADE

Performing a multitude of tasks, from star-gazing to bill collecting, almost two hundred students in the University earned an average of $217.04 apiece last year. The varied occupations which included such work as sorting skeletons in Peabody Museum and delivering summons cards from the Dean's office were supplied by the Temporary Student Employment plan.

The system was set up as an emergency measure in 1932 to help needy students affected by the depression. Of the 181 students employed last year, 81 earned $300.

For the past three years, the University has set aside $40,000.00 each year to provide employment for the students in various departments. This year, the plan is being continued with $42,327.33 available to students in need of employment.

These figures do not include the students given work outside the University through the Student Employment Office.

Due to a stricter operation of the plan, involving close investigation of the applicant's school records and financial needs, the number of applications have fallen steadily since the beginning, from 383 in 1932, to 318 in 1933, and again to 300 in 1935.

Last year, as a result of a survey conducted among the workers, many routine jobs were discontinued.