Melton, Ameche, Flynn--Stars of the Air Lanes

ABOUT the time undergraduates begin to use their season football tickets, network radio stars start looking for new penthouses to replace the stuffy old one room quarters they have occupied during the long hard summer when listeners stay home only for the baseball broadcasts. From October on the living rooms of the land are filled with floods of expensive music and a hundred expensive voices that engulf the fireside from morning until night.

Among these voices none will be more prominent this year than that of a University f Florida Delta Tau Delta, a swarthy gentleman the alumni magazines of Florida, the University of Georgia, and Vanderbilt University have a right to talk about. James Melton by name, he was born in Mouitrie, Georgia, but grew up in Catra, Florida.

BEFORE entering the University of Florida, he had two accomplishments: he could build a boat and was a whiz in any church choir. President Murphee heard him sing in an assembly and turned him from law to music. Shortly afterwards, in initiating kiss, the Delts tied-him to a tombstone for the night. He acted with the ; then learned to play a saxophone as an extras for starting a band.

Form that moment on he wandered from the higher learning. In rose he returned to school, this time at the University or Georgia. The next year he went to Vanderbilt to study voice. After graduation he sang in Nashville night clubs for a year. He arrived in New York the day Lindbergh came back from Paris. Roxy gave him a chance. Next Jimmy sang top tenor with the Revelers, a quartet which has since graduated Frank Parker. You have heard Melton in both the Palmolive Beauty Box and Ward's Family theaters. This winter you'll see him in a movie and continue to hear him on the Gulf Headliners program.

Jimmy Melton's yacht is named Melody, and it's bigger than any twenty he made when e was a boy in Florida.

LIKE James Melton, Don Ameche didn't win an athletic letter in school, but Don was also a three college man, the Alma Maters being Georgetown, Marquette (Milwaukee), and Wisconsin. He was working for a law degree on The hill at Madison in 1907 when Prof. William c. Troutman cast him in a few college shows. Thereafter, Professor Troutman

ONE night a girl phoned him from Chicago, Would he like to get to Chicago in a hurry for a radio audition? He would. That was in 1931. Today, if you listen to Betty and Bob--Don Amechi is Bob. For three years he has been leading man in the First Nighter and Grand Hotel, NBC dramatic programs, coast to coast. In September he made his appearance in person on the Pacific Coast--in Hollywood. A movie scout had at last found him. when the cameras turn, they will record a flashing smile, a strong, versatile, voice, and lightning like acting talent.

Brothers in Phi Alpha Delta at Wisconsin remember him for his overwhelming and convivial friendliness.

THE girl who phoned Don Ameche that day in 1931 was Bernadine Flynn, Don Ameche's co-star at Wisconsin. She, too, had found her was to Broadway. She carried letters of recommendation from Zona Gile, Wisconsin novelist and playwright, who had seen her with Don in Liliom.

In New York, Bernadine did little more than acquire a stage accent and understudy a star or two. This diction she had to discard that day in Chicago when she tried out with Don for the NBC Empire Builders program. There were a few hundred other applicants, but Don and Bernadine were chosen, and they acted together for a long time in Empire Builders. Then Bernadine struck out for herself.

THE result was the part of Sade in Vic and Sade, a homespun daily sketch now three years old on NBC. Bernadine is also appearing with Eddie Guest in Welcome Valley over NBC. By way of variety, she once cross-fired with Ben Bernie on the air.

These two kids, a girl from a Madison, Wisconsin high school, and a boy from Kenosha, upstate, who came together at Wisconsin to take lessons from Prof. William C. Troutman, are doing very well for themselves.