Advocate Trustees Await Police Move in Meeting This Afternoon

Western Educator Sends Letter to Alumni Bulletin in Protest; No Other Action Since Issue

Trustees of Mother Advocate will take no action against their proteges until the police have determined a disposition of the legal end of the case, according to an announcement last evening by John J. Slocum '36, president of the magazine.

Slocum, Gerald J. Piel '37, business manager, and Robert S. Chafee '36, circulation manager, will be summoned to meet Chief Timothy F. Leahy this afternoon at 4 o'clock.

The Advocate has kept a clean legal record so far in its history except for one issue in 1925 which was banned because of a cartoon which appeared in a parody of the magazine "Dial."

All copies of the current issue were seized by the police after their chief had been apprised of a letter run in the CRIMSON Saturday morning which had been received from a former editor of the Advocate. The graduate protested that two of the stories were indecent, but requested that his name should not be published.

Complaint from West Coast

At least one other graduate, a prominent educator on the Pacific Coast, has protested to the Alumni Bulletin which will publish his statement in its next issue. Aside from this there has been no excitement on the part of Alumni or students during the last three weeks that the magazine has been lying on the newsstands.

The articles were not considered important by the editors and were not featured on the cover. According to Slocum, they were included as examples of modern experimental work in literature. The only defense that the board can offer will be an appeal for literary freedom which may be strong enough to convince the chief of the propriety of publishing such material.

Slocum announced last night that banning of the issue will not halt work on the next Advocate.