THE SKY IS FALLING

Malcontents who remarked last winter in their peculiarly crabbed manner that no matter what his sins Franklin D. Roosevelt will go right through the Pearly Gates in the Sourmahal must be feeling particularly acute qualms during the present vacation of the President.

It is not too much to expect, that when the country is forming its most vital piece of foreign policy since the World War, the President should be at his desk in Washington, in closest touch with his Department of State and with the foreign embassies. At a time when the world is rumbling with a multitude of threats of war and passions are reaching a new high, President Roosevelt is displaying a nonchalance which goes way back to those gay, expectant days when he was Governor of New York. Mr. Roosevelt is doing the fishing; Mr. Hull is doing the frying.

The latest reports say that Mussolini is making peace overtures to Paris and London, but judging the man by his past, just what is hatching in the back of his head is anybody's guess. During the period of suspended animation President Roosevelt should be in Washington, planning to meet every exigency, so that American neutrality may be assured. The Mediterranean, not the Caribbean is the place where Mr. Roosevelt should be doing his angling today.