German Club Attempts to Catch Typical German Atmosphere in Its Meetings and Social Events

Plays Staged With Collaboration of Wellesley and Radcliffe German Clubs

By Earle S. Randall g

This is the fifth in a series of articles on extra-curricular activities in the college. These articles are intended as a supplement to the information received by the class of 1930 at the Phillips Brooks House reception.

Early in 1933 the Verein Turmwaechter, Harvard's German Club, began its existence with a few members united by their interest in the German language and culture. It has retained this interest and enthusiasm and opens its season this year stronger than ever before and with aspirations for the best and pleasantest year yet.

The activities of the Verein have been varied. It has presented the late actor and reader, Max Montor, in a group of readings from German plays, has staged Schuitzler's "Liebelet" and "Dor gruene Kakadu," and Fulda's Jugendfreunde," with the collaboration of the German clubs of Wellesley and Radcliffe.

At the regular meetings, prominent German speakers have been presented and members have been presented and members have thus had opportunities to hear a wide variety of subjects discussed. In an endcavor to catch something of the atmosphere of a typical German student club, ceremonials and customs, quite foreign to us, but serving to give a clearer comprechension of a very typical side of the German student's life, have been introduced, particularly in the less formal part of the meeting, and have caused a spirit of good fellowships and the famous Gomuetlichkeit to provail. In addition, joint meetings with the Radcliffe club and several beer-garden dances have proved successful outside activities. In all of its work, the Club is entirely non-political.

The guiding purpose of the Club is to foster understanding of all things German through fuller knowledge of the language, literature, culture, and oustoms, with the hope of being a worthy adjust of the more formal course studies and a means of calling up reminiscences to those who have traveled in Germany and of sharpening anticipation in those who have not.