FESLER'S BASKETEERS IN INITIAL FALL SCRIMMAGE

Team Drilled in All Fundamentals as Lanky Six and Half Footers Absent; Fesler Optimistic

Minus the services of many of last year's lettermen and Freshman stars, Coach Wes Fesler sent his hoopsters through the first scrimmage of the season yesterday afternoon. Stressing passing and footwork, Fesler seemed determined to put an aggressive team on the floor by Christmas vacation.

"Last year," he said, "with the exception of one or two games our principal fault was a lack of aggressiveness. Whatever happens, we're not going to have that fault this year." Although Fesler has picked no tentative squad as yet, it is believed that he intends to utilize the two six and a half footers, John Herrick '38 and Bill Gray '37, neither of whom had returned to Cambridge in time for yesterday's practice.

Both Captain Leavitt S. White '37 and Jack Dampeer '38 have been out regularly and seem to be rounding into shape. George Lowman '38, star from last year's Freshman team, is on hand, and the veterans Byron Moser '37 and Jack Mason '37 both give promise that no positions are assured.

Captain White expressed himself as being favorably impressed with the attitude the squad is developing, but would make no comment as to the success the team might be expected to encounter during the season. Junior Varsity Coach Charles Kollinites has been laboring indefatigably to insure the health and strength of the squad. Special exercises for the strengthening.

With plays as yet untouched, the Varsity mentor has not begun to pick his squad. Constant drill in passing, cutting for the basket, and effective guarding constitute the bulk of the early season practices.