FIRST AMES PRIZES GO TO GIBSON AND RICHARD JOHNSON

Recipients Chosen by Committee of Mrs. Ames, Dean Hanford, Quian, White and Kelly

Ames Scholarship of $150 each have been awarded by the Student Council to C. Colmery Gibson '37 and to Richard B. Johnson '36. Each will be given a printed memorial recording the activities of the two Ames brothers and the story of their tragic death.

These scholarships were established last month in memory of Richard Glover Ames '34 and Henry Russell Ames '38, who were drowned last June. Under the terms of the grant $300 will be annually awarded to those Juniors and Seniors who have shown energy in helping themselves and who exhibit, as well, the sterling character and inspring leadership that were the qualities of Richard and Henry Ames." It may not be divided among more than three men in one year.

The announcement was made after a meeting yesterday of the Committee in Charge of Selections, consisting of Thomas H. Quinn '36, president of the Student Council; LeMoyne White '36, treasurer; Shaun Kelly '36, secretary; Dean Hanford; and Mrs. Robert R. Ames, mother of the boys.

Gibson came to Harvard from Boys High School in Atlanta, Georgia. In his Freshman year he was on the Union Committee, was on the basketball team and editor-in-chief of the Freshman Red Book. He is now a member of the Student Council, the Editorial Board of the CRIMSON, and the Dunster House Committee.

Johnson, whose home is in Swampscott, attended Milton Academy. He is an editor of the Lampoon and is on the Adams House Committee.

Both received Price Greenleaf Aid in their Freshman years.