300 Freshmen Ask University to Allow Yearlings to Eat in Houses

Authors Would Establish Plan With Greater Freedom-100 Upperclassmen Join Plea

Some 300 Freshmen have petitioned the University to allow them to eat "a certain number of meals in the Houses every week with upperclass friends without further charge".

Although the petitions were not posted until Monday afternoon, more than 100 upperclassmen have also endorsed the proposed House-Union system of meals similar to the inter-House privileges now enjoyed by upperclassmen.

There is at present a complicated arrangement whereby first year men eating in the Union may signify their desire to eat in the Houses by signing in their dining room. This privilege was inaugurated as an experiment last year and was only allowed during the few weeks preceding the filing of House applications. Each man was allowed to eat three times in each House.

The plan worked satisfactorily last spring and it is now thought that an extension could be made to include the whole second half year.

While retaining a check on the number of meals allowed away from the Union, the authors of the petition would remove the limitation on the number of meals in each House and think that it would not be necessary to sign at the Union before eating a meal in another Hall.

The administrative difficulties were easily handled last year by Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager of the University, since the difference in the meal rates-$8 and 8.50 per week-amounts to only a fraction over two cents per meal.

The petitions will continue to circulate during the next few days and will be presented to a University official next week. It is expected that many more will sign before they are withdrawn.