A STUDY IN RED AND GREEN

In "Introducing Cambridge" the authors who publish their labors in the "Advocate" show an admirable aptitude in marshalling figures and in putting them where they belong. Their article is a series of pointed questions put to fairly representative groups of Harvard men and of Cambridge tradespeople, with tabulations of the answers, explanations, and comments. It is all in the style of surveys by "Fortune". But after drawing up their battle-lines these generals forget to declare war.

Both groups take a firm stand against social upheaval. The first step to Communism, state ownership of public utilities, is censured by both groups, but more vehemently by the students. As for the possible increase of inheritance taxes, the groups taken in their entireties show little difference of opinion. But when the concentrators in the Social Sciences, who among the students surely have the most significant opinions on these matters, are isolated, their favoring of this particular economic adjustment is pronounced. Thus though both camps agree in their denunciation of Communism, the students are the more antagonistic toward, it, and the more thoughtful part of them is the most anxious of all to reform capitalism to meet its red assailant.

This is the stand on social orders. But the stand on dissemination of information is altogether a different story. The townspeople want to cut out the Red Ogre's tongue. By a clear majority they want to silence the Communist Party in America. The students, 80% of them against 20%, wish to continue its right to plead its cause. Turning to another question, the Cantabrigians are found to favor the Teachers' Oath. Thus they at least suggest that they wish to prevent America's future leaders from drinking any potion that might possibly bring on a rash. The youths, on the other hand, by their preponderant opposition to the Oath, indicate that they want to be taught all there is to know. It is at least logical to infer that this longing includes a desire to understand possible substitutes for capitalistic democracy.

The townsmen wish to preclude all possibilities of shaking their faith; the students want to examine, to hear, to know. This may be the characteristic contrast between age and youth; it is certainly the principal revelation of the survey questionnaire.