Mrs. E. K. Rand Receives Decoration Established By Napoleon at French Films Ceremony Tonight

Tribute To Her Interest and Work in Cause of Pictures Among American People

As a fitting climax to the steadily increasing popularity of French films in America, M. Bergeron, Boston consul, will decorate Mrs. E. K. Rand, chairman of the French Talking Films Committee, in the Institute of Geographical Exploration at 8.50 o'clock tonight.

She will receive the "Palmes Academiques," which was originally created on March 17, 1808, by Imperial Decree of Napoleon I. Article IV of the decree roads:

"That there be created among the graduate functionaries of the Universite, honorary titles intended to distinguish eminent functions and recompense services rendered to enlightenment."

The decoration has since become, to quote the Grande Encyclopedie, "the sign of great intellectual achievements, of talent, of learning, and of enlightened real in matters of culture." It is awarded by the officer de l'instruction publique of the French government.

The history of the French film movement in America goes back to the summer of 1931, when Mrs. Rand happened to attend a production of "La Grande Mare" at a Paris theatre. Immediately struck by the value which films would have in helping Americans to an understanding of French, she tried as soon as she returned to Cambridge to interest other people in the idea, including among others John A. Haeseler '23, former Director of the University Film Service.

Enough money and enthusiasm was aroused to make possible a series of movies. From two performances of "Le Million," the number for each movie jumped to four and finally to eight. All but one of Rene Clair's films have been shown.

The committee had at the beginning much difficulty in obtaining its films, but since M. Claudel, the French ambassador in Washington, offered the use of films obtained through the "ralise diplomatique" it has been easier, and there is now a permanent committee of selection in Paris, composed of both French and Americans.