Strictly Speaking

A flapping, crimson-hued goose poured Mr. Bingham's cream pie prepared for him on Saturday afternoon's gridiron by Dick Harlow, Shaun Kelly, and some 47,000 ticket-buyers. Mr. Bingham espied the goose shortly after it slighted on the sidelines and, fearing disruption of the Yale Band by this rosy apparition, promptly ordered the cheerleaders to the chase. Accordingly the goose was escorted from the field, locked in a rumble beat, and taken for a ride far into the countryside.

* * *

The time-clock on the Stadium scoreboard was doing some funny things in the last period of Saturday's game. For a while the hand seemed to be stuck, and when we later glanced that way it had moved backwards. Finally we saw an arm rise above the blur of humanity underneath the scoreboard and set back the clock's hand several minutes.

* * *

Last Tuesday night several undergraduates attended the opening of "Continental Varieties" at the Shubert--the guests of the show's promoters acting through the agency of the Student Employment Office. The only strings attached to the guest tickets were that the student must appear in tails with a lady of his own choosing.

However, when questioned on the matter, a secretary in the Employment Office paled and replied: "There's no story for the CRIMSON there."

* * *

Harvard is not the oldest New World university. The University of Mexico City was founded in 1553, while the institution in Cuzco, Peru, dates from 1598. On the other hand, Harvard outdates many European universities-- Bonn (1818), Gottingen (1737), London (1836), and Breslau (1702.)

* * *

The following notice has been circulated recently to Radcliffe graduate students:

"There has been some criticism of smoking by Radcliffe students, particularly on the steps of Fogg Museum, Widener Library, and the Harvard Music Building. The members of the Dean's Advisory Committee wish to bring the matter to your attention in an effort to prevent friction and to maintain our relations with Harvard on a mutually pleasant basis."