Dodds of Princeton in Complete Accord With Conant's Program

Princeton Head Approves Plan Guarding Against Excessive Departmentalization

Seeing privately supported colleges and universities as most resistant to political domination, President Dodds of Princeton expressed his hearty agreement with President Conant's new 300th Anniversary Fund in a telegram to the CRIMSON received last night.

"In our privately endowed universities," states Mr. Dodds, "the free play of thought finds its most favorable environment. Their tendency is towards social balance and orderly growth. In addition to motive power, they provide a politically confused society a balance wheel which no state controlled institution can supply."

Mr. Dodds agrees with Mr. Conant's views regarding the necessity at this time of emphasizing the unity as well as the specialization of knowledge. "The course of scholarship has proceeded along lines of greater and greater subdivision of subject matter.

"This was necessary and is bound to continue. But in our enthusiasm for more information we have neglected the need for integration and synthesis."

In respect to scholarships, Mr. Dodds sees a universal significance in the changes of conditions which allow less free time for self help work.

Mr. Dodds' telegram in full reads:

"I am happy to respond to the managing editor's request for a comment upon Harvard's three hundredth anniversary program recently announced in the press.

"I am in hearty agreement with the President and fellows of Harvard College about the importance to the public weal of increased support for endowed institutions of learning. Among the finest of our free institutions, and most resistive to political domination are our privately supported colleges and universities. In them the free play of thought finds its most favorable environment. Because they can afford to entertain conflicting viewpoints soberly and objectively, their tendency is towards social balance and orderly growth. In addition to motive power, they provide in a politically confused society a balance wheel which no state controlled institution can supply.

Purposes Wise

"The two specific purposes for which Harvard University seeks to increase its resources are, in my judgment, wise. Princeton shares President Conant's views regarding the necessity at this time of emphasizing the unity as well as the specialization of knowledge. The course of scholarship has proceeded along lines of greater and greater subdivision of subject matter. This was necessary and is bound to continue, but in our enthusiasm for more information we have neglected the need for integration and synthesis. Great minds are required for the task. Small minds may unearth new details but only great minds can weave new patterns from the minutes cast up by lesser intellects.

Less Time For Self Help

"In respect to scholarships, the changes in conditions noted at Harvard are of universal significance. As academic standards are improved less free time is left in the day for self help work. The depression has at once reduced the opportunities for self help and increased the demand upon such opportunity as does exist. To keep a college a cross section of the best in American life is therefore more difficult. But the difficulties only heighten the importance of proper steps to maintain our great universities as truly national institutions. The Harvard National Scholarships, designed to attract men of the most promising qualities from every state in the Union, should enhance further Harvard's great influence in the training of each generation to take its part in our democracy.

Harvard Step Courageous

"Despite depression conditions the trustees of Princeton last commencement announced a program of development calling for a considerable amount of new funds. It is encouraging to us to learn that Harvard has not hesitated to appraise her needs and place them before the public in these adverse times. The Anniversary Fund presents a program worthy of the great university which is soon to celebrate its 300th birthday. We wish every success in it