Four Out of Five Freshmen Read Comic Strips "Popeye" Scores As Overwhelming Favorite

Infant Psychologist No. 1 Deplores Situation, While No. 2 Thinks It a Healthy Sign

Four out of five Harvard Freshmen read the "funnies" regularly a poll of over 250 yearlings demonstrated, and Popeye is their favorite character, garnering 83 votes. Next to comic-land's champion spinach eater ranks Barney Geogie with 41 in the hearts of first-year men.

The remainder of the ballots are pretty evenly distributed between Flash Gordon and his rocket gun, Blondie and her troublesome babe and husband, Webster's Timid Soul, and daring detective Dick Tracy. Edgar Rice Burroughs, creator of Tarzan, must content himself with being the choice of a single man.

Of the fifty odd men who do not scan the comic sections, 28 freely admitted that they occasionally glance at what has been called America's greatest contribution to humor. But the other 32 disdainfully denied touching the "filthy sheets", for they consider it beneath their dignity as Harvard students.

Experts on infant psychology refused to comment officially on the startling revelations, but one leading authority anonymously states, "It is indeed a sad commentary on the youth of this great institution, that they needs must flee to the vulgar and profane amusements of the mob for relaxation."

Another modest psychologist commented, "A very healthy sign. I'm a Little Orphan Annie fan myself."

Vindication for fun loving Freshmen comes from Mayor LaGuardia who in a recent interview with the CRIMSON advised, "I believe in a well balanced reading even including the funny sheets."