LERNER UNDECIDED ON RESIGNATION QUESTION

APPOINTED LECTURER AT FIRST OF SCHOOL YEAR

Contrary to published reports, Max Lerner, Lecturer in Government, has not resigned his faculty position to become editor of "The Nation," he revealed today.

Admitting that the offer of the appointment had been made and that negotiations had taken place between himself and the editorial board of the magazine, Lerner stated emphatically that he had come to no decision.

There is no present single editor of "The Nation," and has not been since Ernest Gruening resigned. Gruening succeeded Oswald Garrison Villard '93, who also resigned the post.

Lerner, formerly on the faculty at Yale, was one of the Associate Directors of the Social Service Encyclopedia. He was appointed a Lecturer here at the beginning of the year.

Since his appointment he has been bitterly attacked as being too radical for a college instructor, and James T. Williams, a national Hearst writer, denounced Lerner's forthcoming book as being an unwarranted and disrespectful tirade against the Supreme Court.

Recently he was elected a member of the executive board of the Cambridge Union of University Teachers, a local chapter of the American Federation of Labor, organized and made up of members of the faculty with Leftist tendencies.