HOCKING WILL DELIVER NEXT INGERSOLL TALK

Lectures on Immortality of Man Have Gone On Since 1894 From Grant of Early Graduate's Daughter

William E. Hocking, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity will deliver the annual Ingersoll Lecture on the Immortality of Man at the Harvard Divinity School next April.

The lectures were established in 1894 under the bequest of Miss Caroline H. Ingersoll, in memory of her father, George G. Ingersoll, who graduated from Harvard in 1815.

Professor Hocking has been on the Harvard faculty since 1914. He graduated from Harvard in 1901, and received his Ph.D. in 1904; in 1902-03 he was Harvard Fellow in the Universities of Gottingen, Berlin, and Heidelberg. He has taught at the Universities of California, Princeton, and Yale, and since 1920 has been Alford Professor here.

In 1932, as a member of the American commission making an investigation of church missions, he was editor and co-author of the report "Rethinking Missions." He has also written "Man and the State," "Philosophy of Law and Rights," and "Spirit of World Politics."

He is a member of the American Philosophical Association, the American Academy of Political Sciences, the East Asiatic Society, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

The Reverend Charles H. Dodd, of the University of Manchester, England, was Ingersoll lecturer last year.