SKIING SEASON STARTS AS CARTER GIVES TALK AT INITIAL GATHERING

COACH PROCTOR EXPECTS GROUP OF NEARLY 100

Exponents of the greased boards got off to a flying start last night when Adams Carter, Captain of the Ski Team, officially inaugurated the season in a short talk to an enthusiastic bunch of devotees in the Lowell House Common Room.

Coach Charley Proctor, who followed him, spoke about conditioning for the various events and the work of the Classification Committee. Movies of past ski races were afterwards shown.

From a compilation of the cards which were distributed at the beginning of the meeting, to be filled out by those wishing to compete for the team, it was discovered that more than 70 had signed up with many new cards coming in from late arrivals.

Carter Expects More

Carter expects even more to come to him during the week, especially from many of last year's skiers who were unable to attend the meeting.

Twenty-nine of those signed up were Freshmen, many of whom apparently have had previous experience. Several of them have skied abroad in Switzerland, Germany, and Norway, while a few have had training in New England, which should stand them in good stead. Of the other classes, members numbering from eight to 15 men had enrolled last night.

Freshmen Eligible

A few graduate students tried to enroll, only to discover that membership on the team was barred to them. The Freshmen will be able this year as they were last to substitute a day or two of skiing for their regular periods of required exercise. They are also eligible for the Varsity team, unlike most other sports.

The general business of the session was taken up by Captain Carter. Last year there were two or three teams with about six men on a team so that approximately 25 runners, allowing for substitutions, got into races.

He emphasized the point that by hard work a man might easily win a position on the team even though he had no previous experience.

University Championships Soon

The real test, when the material for the team is sounded out, will come on Sunday, January 12. On this date the University Championships will be held over the new Tuckerman trail at Pinkham Notch. This trail is fairly easy, but will be a good one on which to demonstrate superior skill and speed. Applications for this race will be taken at Leavitt and Pierce's after vacation.

Last year's Second and Third Class skiers may find themselves unclassified this year. A committee is smoothing out some wrinkles in the classification system and if they find a man with an insufficient record he will immediately be dropped from his rating until he can run one of the specified trails in a set time or better.