Harmon Relates Little Known Factors That Have Contributed to the Popularity of Winter Sports

N. E. Council Executive Explains Importance of C.C.C. Units In Popularizing Skiing

Little known factors have contributed immensely in increasing the popularity of winter sports in New England, according to Dudley Harmon, executive vice president of the New England Council.

The C.C.C. workers, for example, have been largely instrumental in making skiing a sport that can be enjoyed by everyone. A few years ago skiing consisted principally in "jumping". To the average person it was a hazardous sport at best, to be indulged in only by experts. However, various C.C.C. units went building ski runs of varying grades and distances, without any jumps, so that now a person may pick the steepness of his run according to his own ability and daring. In some of the most modern resorts there are cables by means of which weary skiers may be pulled back to the top of the hill. A few hotels even hire ski instructors to help their novice guests.

Mr. Harmon further points out that although few people realize it, woman's fashions have played an important part in drawing interest to winter sports. Last year Vogue and Harper's Bazaar featured women's ski and skating outfits, and at present the large department stores are extensively advertising attractive ski and snow suits for women. One New York store has even gone so far as to place a ski run made of borax and pine needles in its sports department to enable beginners to try themselves.

"This season," Mr. Harmon says, "there will be the greatest activity in winter sports ever seen in New England. Advance hotel bookings, especially in New Hampshire, break all previous records. The New Haven Railroad has already sold 500 tickets for its first snow train in January."

Not at all disturbed by the scarcity of snow so far this season, he says, "There is always some snow in the northern part of New England. And in addition, the season doesn't really get under way until the end of December."