FRESHMAN TRACK TEAM HAS INITIAL WORKOUT

CAHNERS AND SEARS MAY BE LOST TO TEAM UNTIL SPRING

With over 50 experienced cindermen reporting for the initial practice yesterday, Coach Jaakko Mikkola looks forward to building a uniformly powerful Freshman track team.

Unfortunately some of the best material is concentrated in the weight events which will not be included in the indoor program. Bob Sears of Andover, a hammer thrower, will be lost until spring, as will Fulton Cahners, in the javelin. Cahners is the brother of Norman Cahners '36, Varsity weight and sprint man. Another promising weight man, according to Mikkola, is Dan Dyer, who will put the shot indoors and throw the discus outside.

The Freshman football team contributes a potential scorer in Don Daughters, who is reputed to have crossed the 23 foot mark in the broad jump.

From the cross country squad a formidable group of distance men is being gathered. Brayton, Gardner, and Olive should all place high in the 600 and 1000 yard runs. A. J. Hanlon, former Roxbury Latin half-miler, should also win a position, although he was not one of the three leaders in cross country this fall.

As yet the only dearth of material is in the pole vault. If no experienced vaulters are found, this weakness may seriously handicap the team.