DINNER FOR BOYS CLUB WORKERS TO BE GIVEN

Phillips Brooks House Is Hopeful of Interesting Undergraduates in Social Service

With the idea of interesting under graduates in Boys' Club service, a dinner is to be held next Tuesday evening by Phillips Brooks House. Mr. MacLaughlin of Norfolk House will act as toast-master.

Apart from gaining new recruits for this work, the dinner will provide to those who are already engaged in it an opportunity for exchanging their experiences.

At present 80 men employed in supervising the leisure hours of boys in 14 settlement houses in the vicinity of Boston. It is the hope of Phillips Brooks House, according to Frank W. Vincent '36, chairman of the Social Service committee, that this number may be increased to 150 in the near future. The boys, who represent almost every race, religion, and nationality and who are drawn from the underprivileged classes of Boston, are already so numerous that paid workers are rapidly becoming unable to handle them; and the need for volunteers is acts.

The activities which are conducted in the settlement houses are extremely varied. They range from tumbling and wrestling through the manufacture of model airplanes to debating and dramatics. The Committee believes that it is obviously better to direct the energies of the city's less fortunate children into these comparatively healthy channels rather than to allow them, with their undeveloped sense of values, to seek their recreation without any guidance.

For some of the boys who live near Cambridge a Christmas dinner is being planned, at which it is expected that many useful presents, such as clothing or tools, will be distributed.