The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

The Crime

There is pride among the cities, as O. Henry has affirmed, and among most colleges there is a fierce patriotism that brooks no doubt that Alma Mater is the greatest institution in the world. At Harvard, however, where patriotism is considered a weak emotion, there is on equally studied nonchalance, a determination never to express the slightest belief that any one thing or place is superior to another just because one owns a slight allegiance in one place, or thing.

Consequently there will be no blushing or shame in Lowell House when this incident is related; nor will there the jubilation along the Charles where Dunster House stands.

A gentleman from a European country had been staying for several days with friends in Lowell House. He was delighted with everything. Harvard was a grand place, indeed, a most excellent place, and there was he averred, little room for improvement anywhere.

The last day of his visit, however, he spent with a totter in Dunster House. Upon entering the dining hall the visitor again burst into effusions of delight. He remarked on the extreme youth of most of the young men eating in Dunster, and thought it singular indeed that the members of the faculty were so young. when his fried explained that Dunster was just the same as Lowell he was shocked.

"It is so very much nicer," he explained, "I thought it was only for faculty members."