Christmas Vacation Period Will Be Extended Through Weekend

Travel Time Will be Cut for All Excepting Those Who Have Long Trips to Make

Christmas vacation has been extended to January 5 by a vote of the Faculty Council. The former vacation periiod made it necessary for students to return for classes on Friday and Saturday, so the Council followed a precedent of five years ago, when the end of the vacation was changed from January 2 to January 4 in order to avoid the necessity of returning for classes on Saturday.

Travel time will not be granted to anyone except those who live a long distance away. Under the previous arrangement, it had been granted liberally, but this year it will be given only to those who need it to get home by Christmas Eve.

Dean Hanford made the following statement:

"The Council of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences has voted to change the closing date of the Christmas vacation for all students under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences so that the recess will extend from Sunday, December 22, to January 5 inclusive instead of ending on January 2, as was originally announced in the official University calendar. The last classes before the Christmas recess will be held on Saturday, December 21, and the first classes after the recess on Monday, January 9.

"If the usual schedule had been adhered to, many students would have been forced to return for only one or two classes on Friday or Saturday. Since most of the advanced courses to not meet during the Reading Period, there would have been a temptation for a good many students to tak the extra few days anyway. Also, under the original schedule, it would have been necessary to grant travel time very liberally to men living at a distance. In extending the vacation, the Faculty voted that travel time should not ordinarily be granted. The only exceptions will be in the case of a few men who would have to be granted travel time to reach their homes by Christmas Eve."