UNHARMONIOUS FACE OF CHESS NOW UNMASKED

Daring Investigation of Chess Club Unearths Previously Unsuspected Friction and Discord

Football is not the only activity which can stimulate the spirit of competion so as to strain intercollegiate relations to the breaking point, an interview with Herman E. Schroeder '36, president of the Chess Club, revealed today.

The unwordly worship of theory, the aloof reserve, the detached and implacable prudence, which the uninitiated customarily attribute to the colossi of the chess world, apparently disintegrate once the wizards of the checkered board sniff a good Queen's Gambit or sense a toothsome French Defense in the offing.

The super-stupendous chess engagement of the year, for which the Crimson mental giants have been whetting their eager brains is the annual Harvard-Yale, Princeton-Dartmouth meet, to the winner of which a trophy is awarded each year. This takes place December 22 and 23. With the exception of last year the Cambridgites have ever been utterly victorious. However, at that time, for reasons which President Schroeder has not disclosed, discord reared its ugly head, and the indignant Crimson contingent withdrew.

Regretting their impetuosity, the Cambridge brain battalion again re-entered, but so tardily that only a makeshift team could be formed; and, ignominy unutterable, the escutcheon of the Harvard Chess Club was blotched for the first time with a third place. der, for an experienced team, all of

This year the prospect is bright for success, according to President Schroeder, for an experienced team, all of whom have bulging foreheads, is available. Their record to date consists of four victories and a tie, this last against Yale.