STUDENTS SUFFER 3500 DOLLAR LOSS IN STOLEN GOODS

Yard Police Powerless to Apprehend Guilty Persons--Unlocked Doors Are Held to Invite Theft

Petty thievery in 36 reported instances have resulted in a loss of approximately $3500 so far this year, according to an announcement by Aldrich Durant '02, business manager of the University. The articles stolen included clothing, jewelry, and a little money from almost all the buildings on this side of the River.

Work in Pairs

The favorite method has involved two men as confederates from Boston hotels and bars where they meet students. After one man has made a contact he tries to visit the student in his room and sometimes is allowed to stay over night. Then a few days after his departure, the confederate comes to Cambridge and takes any articles which have been selected by the first man. The pairs seem to work in Cambridge for three or four months and then disappear to show up in Princeton, New Haven, or some other college center.

The trouble this year seems to be less severe than at other times although there has been an epidemic of stealing starting before Christmas, but there have been fewer reports during the last few weeks.

Yard Police Powerless

The Yard police have been having difficulty in apprehending the guilty persons because students have refused to go to court to identify suspects and have continually left their doors unlocked. The men have been well dressed and it is impossible to identify them as strangers. In three cases part of the stolen goods have been recovered in Boston pawnshops, but lately none of the property has been turned over to local brokers.