FOREIGN LITERATURE

Among the distribution requirements for an A.B. or a B.S. degree is a full course in Literature. "By Literature is meant a course given primarily from the literary point of view and in the original language." There is no good reason for this limitation.

The theory behind distribution requirements is that each graduate of the college should have a broad cultural education, not limited by the narrow field in which he is concentrating. A course in several subjects unrelated to this special field is to give the student more than one perspective on life and the world. It is very important, therefore, that the course should stimulate the serious interest of the student, so that he does not pass it off as easily as possible, but gets the full benefit of broadening which it is meant to provide.

Is there any reason that a course in the Russian novel should be less valuable for this purpose than one in the English novel? Are the Classics to be excluded completely as a broadening, literary influence for all those who do not know the ancient languages? As a broad cultural background, certainly there are many fields in translation which, especially to those whose interests tend there, will be far more enjoyable than the present alternative for most,--a course in English literature, or an elementary literary course in either French or German.

If the limitation were removed, there would probably not be a general exodus from the present distribution courses for Literature into the classics or modern languages in translation. But for an important minority, it would mean the stimulation of an exciting foreign literature, or a taste of the Classical otherwise not available to him. These few should be encouraged.

Special exception for individual cases might well cure the evil from this reservation. But up till now there have been no exceptions. Every Literature requirement has had to be fulfilled in the "original language." But even had the authorities unbent in the treatment of special petitions, there would be no reason for retaining a bad requirement among the written rules of the University. It should be removed.