Freshman Skier Is Injured In Plunge From Mountain

Arthur H. Hall '38 Fractures Hip and Arm in Fall on Monadnock Trail

Arthur H. Hall '38 suffered serious hip and arm injuries yesterday afternoon as the result of a plunge from the newly opened Mount Monadnock ski trail when, rounding a turn at breakneck speed, he lost control of his skis and swerved from the course.

He was carried by automobile to the Petersboro Hospital in Petersboro, New Hampshire, where reports last night indicated that his condition is not critical. Examination revealed that he had suffered an oblique fracture of the right hip and a fracture of the radius bone of the right forearm.

The injuries were caused by a heavy landing on a pile of rocks, where Hall was found completely helpless by his companions a few minutes later. Splints improvised from skis were carefully strapped to his hips and arm, and in this condition he was dragged for five miles on a toboggan of skis until the nearest automobile could be reached. First aid treatment was immediately administered, and the injured man was then sent to the hospital. Mrs. Hall arrived later last night to be at her son's bedside.

Accompanied by a group of Harvard and M.I.T. Freshmen, Hall had arrived in East Jaffrey yesterday morning to try out the new Monadnock trail, which was built by CCC workmen and opened last Friday.