FLAYS LOWELL'S STAND ON CHILD LABOR LAWS

Robert Watt, the Massachusetts Labor Federation Official, Addresses New Lecture Hall Meeting

President emeritus Lowell and his colleagues are singing their swan song of privilege by opposing the child labor law, and Harvard professors will be eligible for benefits from the Townsend Plan if it does not do better by them than it has done by its scrub-women.

Those are the sentiments of Robert Watt, secretary of the Massachusetts Federation of Labor, who took the place last night of the ill Jennie Lee.

Watt ridiculed the general belief that Massachusetts is the leader in social legislation and stated that it had become a popular notion to consider the Bay State a moving force in bettering the condition of the working class. Such a belief, he stated, had no basis in fact.

"Twenty-eight states have already adopted legislation which prohibits the employment of minors under 18 in hazardous occupations. Massachusetts has yet to adopt such legislation."

To support his contention that Massachusetts is slow to adopt beneficial social legislation, Watt cited its failure to pass a law prohibiting the employment of minors in hazardous occupations.