DR. EINAUDI LECTURES ON CAREER OF CAVOUR

In Second Talk of Series Government Instructor Talks of Italian's Work For Governmental Reform

Combining great foresight with tireless devotion to the course he saw necessary, Count Camillo Benso Cavour, after helping to bring about the institution of constitutional government in Italy in 1848, worked incessantly and successfully to make this government run smoothly from the beginning. This story of Cavour's accomplishments was told by Mario Einaudi, government instructor, yesterday, in the second of a series of lectures based on Cavour and his contributions to constitutional government in Italy.

Dr. Einaudi told how the king was forced to issue an edict on February 7, 1848, granting the constitutional government Cavour advocated, when a revolution broke out in Austrian dominated Piedmont in that year. Cavour's greatest work took place when the preparations were made for the inception of the democratic system of a Senate and Chamber of Deputies. At this time Cavour was the only figure of the day to work on the specific problems involved, and by his efforts and wide knowledge gained by studying first-hand the parliamentary bodies in England and France, he brought the new system in Italy successfully into being. Following this, he gained election to the Chamber in 1849, and started a term during which he became the acknowledged leader of the constitutional group and later of the liberal party.

Dr. Einandi's next lecture will be on Thursday, at 4 o'clock.