VARSITY, FRESHMEN TO OPEN FENCING SEASON

Matches Begin at 2 and 3.30 O'Clock In New Gym, With Freshman Swords Men Lined Up Against Dummer

Opening their seasons this afternoon, the Varsity and Freshman fencing teams will meet the Hartford Fencers' Club and Governor Dummer Academy, respectively. Coach Rone Peroy will use his strongest Varsity men, but he said yesterday that he expected to employ a weak group of Freshman fencers. Both teams will joust at the Indoor Athletic Building, the Freshmen at 2 o'clock, and the Varsity at 3.30.

Usually nine men compose a team, but tomorrow 12 Varsity men will fight four Hartfordians. The reason for such odds is that the opponents are competent in all three weapons, while Harvard is only in one.

The Varsity fencers will be Robert C. Ackerman '35, Philip E. Lilienthal '36, and John F. Reppun '36 in the foils competition; Webster F. Williams, Jr. '35, Edward E. Langenau '35, and Richard Ford '36 in the opeo; Richard Morgan, IV '36, Morton Grant '36, and Frederick W. Sands '37 in the sabre. William F. Gerber '37, Edward O. Miller '37, and Howard H. Reynolds '36 will be alternates.

The Freshman fencers wil be John C. Rowley, Jr., Wallace H. Cox, Edwin G. Davis, Jr., John L. Daniels, and Verne R. Fulmer, Jr. There will only he foils competition in the Freshman match.