MEASLY SECLUSION

Since we have considered Stillman Infirmary the closest competitor of the Death House at Sing Sing for so many years, we were amazed yesterday to have our first measle representative return to us still free, white, and nearly twenty-one.

He told us that an excellent staff succeeded in rising to the tide of the Teutonic Plague and making its large number of patients comfortable. He told us that German Measles requires the minimum of medical attention so that he lived safely. Apparently therefore, there is but one bone to pick at present, why couldn't he have let us know earlier.

When a man enters a ward, he might just as well retire to a monastery. For a week he is dead to his friends; they and the outside world dead to him. Of course if he wants to strain his finger on a damnable little black button, he can talk to a friend brave enough to take the mile jaunt up Mount Auburn Street on a treacherous trolley.

It is really necessary for Stillman to cause forty victims' friends such sorrow? Just think, 400 people are probably undergoing our tragic experience this very hour. Mr. Alexander Graham Bell did invent a gadget known as a telephone and some enthusiastic disciple actually found that extensions were feasible, cheap and quite satisfactory. Surely, the installation of one in the ward would not clash too much with the Victorian setting.