TOOTING THE BUGLES

Citizens throughout the country were shockey yesterday morning to read in the headlines that a party, evidently bearing all the earmarks of dyed-in-th-wool, patriotic Americanism had been raided and the spectators as well as participants undignifiedly impounded in the Everett police station. Such an action on the part of the authorities would be condonable but--the party was being held in the American Legion Hall.

Everyone knows that those boys, when the bugle blew, were over there prepared to give their all, quo quidem, opere quid potest esse praeclarius? The state police seem to forget the fact that the possession of a uniform in 1918 gives a man a privilege, well not to be too frank, to sort of disregard the laws and not to work too hard on P.W.A. They seem to forget that our boys went through hell, hell, mind you, and also the streets of Paris and the Follies Bergere.

The propitious moment has come for Congress to take up the Bonus Bill again. Here is an instance to show that our boys are worthy. They have proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that they would know what to do with that money they went through hell for, pardon, the money they deserve for making the world safe for democracy.