What Price Monroe Doctrine

Our state department has announced that in the present crisis we will not station warships in Cuban waters or land marines. At the same time word has been received from Ferral that Spain is sending a cruiser to protect her, nationals. The Administration's policy raises the question of the extent to which it takes seriously the Monroe Doctrine. Under that theory we assumed the burden of protecting European capital and citizens in this hemisphere. If the government feels that Pan American relations require a hands off policy what will be the attitude of the British, Spanish, and other governments that have material and human interests at stake?

Some twelve years ago in a Nicaraguan crisis a small British warship was sent to the scene. It was withdrawn, however, upon the arrival of United States marines. But if our government is going to remain aloof from now on when our southern neighbors elect suddenly and with force to change their government will we still be able to object to European intervention?