ICKES-MOSES

Secretary Ickes has backed down to public indignation, and one of the shadier events connected with the present administration ends. Now that justice has triumphed, there is no need to stress the hypocrisy of the excuses. To argue that the law in the future would prevent the ugly hand of patronage and political maneuvering with federal funds by local officials, as Secretary Ickes does, is laughable with James A. Farley in the cabinet.

The real tragedy in the case was poor Secretary Ickes. In a fight in which he had no interest, he was made to take the whole blame for the autocracy of his superior. How pathetic and weak he seemed when reporters asked him about the Moses case! All he could do in his defence was re-assert again and again his boredom about the whole matter. Then finally having been released from carrying through such an impossible and unjust action, he must make silly, hypocritical excuses for the whole affair, and let the world despise him more. Let us hope that he refinds his strength in worshipping the cause of his troubles. Let him take consolation in the superb whiteness and broadness of soul, the great and intelligent detachment, which his hero-master has displayed throughout.