FORGOTTEN SOPHOMORES

Dean Hanford's recent statement brings up the question: just how far does last year's liberalization of attendance and probation rules apply to the forgotten Sophomore? In some respects he is considered an upperclassman, in others he is placed in the same category as a Freshman.

In yesterday's report it is stated that the policy of not checking up on the attendance of Juniors and Seniors before and after the Easter recess "does not apply to Freshman and Sophomores." Further confirmation of second-year men's Freshman-like status is found in the words of a previous statement: "the return of attendance (records) is to be no longer required in courses which are elected primarily by Juniors and Seniors."

On the other hand, Sophomores are considered the equals of Juniors and Seniors in other parts of the same report. "The return of November and April grades should be required in the courses regularly open to Freshman." In addition, "upperclassmen should ordinarily be placed on probation in June" only.

The result is confusion. Some privileges are granted, others withheld. It is conceivable that the administration purposefully refrained from clearly defining the position of Sophomores, in order to test the new plan where it applied fully, and experiment with second-year men. Since the plan has had a six-months trial and the results are known, it is high time to clear up uncertainty and misunderstanding, particularly as yesterday's statement indicates that the plan has been successful.

There is no reason to go only halfway. Second-year men, being no longer in a period of transition, can be expected to use their privileges with discretion equal to that of other upperclassmen. Checking attendance at courses primarily for second-year men and other upperclassmen--such, for example, as History 5 and Economics A--should be abolished. Similarly, the paternalistic attitude concerning first and last classes before and after a major holiday can and should be discontinued. The laudable tendency to recognize upperclassmen as responsible and mature individuals must be carried to its logical conclusion--a clear-cut grant of all privileges to second-year men.