The Mote and the Beam

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON

There could be no more fitting sequel to the two criticisms of the President's Report that appear in the current "Advocate", than the editorial they have evoked from the CRIMSON. The Editors condescendingly congratulate Mother Advocate on the polish of her articles, but only that they may go on to suggest subtly how much more polished, how glib, a CRIMSON Editor can be when he tries. Characteristically they have completely missed the points of the articles concerned.

Had the CRIMSON faced the question of the language requirements when the report appeared, the Advocate would not now be publishing attempts to evaluate the place of Latin in education. Had the CRIMSON seen fit to report President Conant, instead of merely splashing spectacular excerpts over its front page, an analysis at this late date would indeed be superfluous. The truth of the matter is that the CRIMSON in its hunt for headlines has so far abnegated its critical function for fear of offending University Hall, that they dare not present even a serious analysis. The Goose must not be embarrassed when she lays the golden eggs; the editors obligingly veil their eyes.

It is nice that the CRIMSON board have succeeded in rationalizing their fear into a philosophy, and that they have at last given it such suave and supercilious expression. We trust, however, that they will forgive us if we offer them an epigram, a motto for the future: "Hanford's in his heaven; all's well with the World." J. P. Coolidge '35.