BEMIS ASKS UNION OF BRITISH AND U.S. NAVIES

ADVOCATES CANCELLATION OF WAR DEBTS PRE-DATING ARMISTICE

Pooling of the British and the United States naval forces in the Far East was advocated last night by Samuel Flagg Bemis, Farnum Professor of Diplomatic History at Yale, in an address given to the Eliot House History Club.

Professor Bemis, who was a visiting professor here the first half year and the outstanding authority on American Diplomatic History pointed out that the United States should effect a dignified retreat from the Far East.

To accomplish this end, a defensive naval alliances with Great Britain could be negotiated. The joint navies would join in a treaty for ten years in defense of the territorial possessions of the contracting powers in the region of the Pacific against infraction of the Kellogg Peace Pact.

This alliance would be looking towards a Japanese disturbances. The significance of the ten year period is that by the end of that time the United States would have liquidated its interest, financial and political in the Phillipines.

As a bait towards the concluding of this alliance, Professor Bemis advocated a cancellation of all war debts previous to November 11, 1918, but a payment of all those contracted, after the armistice.