P.B.H. ANNOUNCEMENT

Announcement by Phillips Brooks House that after the close of the present college year it will no longer atempt to care for the commuters is both justified and commendable.

Deed of gift that founded the House specified that its activities be directed toward social service. Certainly the day student at Harvard is not a fit object of social service, nor does he desire to be considered as such. But what is more to the point, in providing facilities for commuters, Phillips Brooks has lost its identification, both in reputation and actual practice with the social work it was intended to perform. In the eyes of resident underclassmen, P.B.H. has come to be looked on as a self-sufficient commuters unit, comparable to a House, and, hence, an organization with which they can have no proper connection except as a competitor. Settlement work, child welfare, boy guidance, all the proper functions of Phillips, have been so subordinated to its commuter relationship that the residents have lost sight of, and interest in, these legitimate phases of the Houses's activities. More, the physical capacity of the building has been taxed until the former, proper activities of the House have had to be abandoned in some instances.

The Cabinet should be commended for its frank stand in the matter. As officers of the Phillips Brooks House, they have done their duty. Further, they have done their part in pressing to a head a problem that needs clarification. It would have been no kindness either to the University or the body of commuters for P.B.H. to have accepted supinely the burdon any longer. The peace of mind of the day student and the general health of the University will be served by a quick and vigorous handling of the problem.