WHEN IN THE COURSE . . .

History 5 has cast the cold light of reason upon the conduct of its hour-examinations--thereby setting a startling precedent--and puts the class to work precisely on the hour. While the Memorial Hall bells are still noisily vying with each other, the pens of a fortunate few, having no class the hour before, begin to scratch away, rolling up a seven minute handicap over the poor innocents who think that the catalogue really is serious when it says: "ALL CLASSES BEGIN AT SEVEN MINUTES AFTER THE HOUR."

Explanations are always odious; but it is quite certain that History 5 examinations start early from the best of motives. The most plausible motive for it is the extension of the reign of reason of the Rousseau and Montesquieu school of Philosophy to practical schedule making. For be it known that History 5 is entitled the Growth of America--our own America--and these are the principles upon which was builded the Constitution of our great commonwealth. What could be more fitting than the assurance that these principles have so imbued the soul of the management that they apply them to the time of starting examinations?

Let the fathers speak. We hold these truths to be self evident: That all men are entitled to an even start in an examination; that discrimination against those who come from a previous class is tyranny; and that this condition must be remedied in the future, or righteous rebellion may be kindled.