FRESHMEN OFFER MANY IDEAS FOR ATHLETICS

HANDFUL REQUESTS ABOLITIONS OF ENFORCED SPORTS

Forty per cent of those men replying to the question concerning Freshman sports did not participate on any team or squad, but the remaining hundred odd respondents distributed throughout the different activities in their proper proportion.

About one half of the Freshmen seem to find that athletics do not noticeably interfere with their scholastic work, while the remaining fifty per cent is almost equally divided between those who feel quite definitely that it does and those who answered "slightly."

A little more surprising, perhaps, is to find that there is an equal choice of athletics and study as the field which should predominate over the other. Most of those who replied in favor of study are not taking part in any Freshman sport.

Suggestions for improvement in the beginners' athletic program some to fall in a few emphatic categories. Leading all the rest is a plea for inter dormitory games, on the of the intramural program, which would be open to men not on organized teams. The same type of pastime athletes urge that more attention be paid to mediocre men instead of allowing the coaches to spend all their time in developing a winning team.

There is, of course, a group who wish to have the compulsory feature abolished, arguing that people will exercise anyway, and that it is especially inconvenient to those who have laboratory courses. These rebels are overwhelmingly defeated by the large group who approve of the system as it stands, and there is even one man who wants compulsory exercise five times each week. It is felt, however, that more cuts should be allowed.

Aside from these suggestions, there are only a few scattering proposals. Most prominent among these is a demand for more hockey facilities and more time during which Freshmen may use the squash courts.