1938 GROUP WILL TACKLE FAULTS OF FRESHMAN SETUP

Crimson Questionnaire Will Supply Basis for Discussion--Allen, Vogt, And Dampeer Chosen

Ten Freshmen have been appointed by the CRIMSON to investigate the unsatisfactory aspects of their first year in Cambridge and to suggest how such problems can be remedied. They will draw up a report which will be submitted to Dean Leighton about May 15th.

Francis Keppel '38, of Montrose, New York, is chairman of the Committee, which will hold its first meeting tonight at 8 o'clock in the Building at 14 Plympton Street. Keppel, who prepared for Harvard at Groton, is chairman of the Freshman Red Book Board.

The members of the Committee are Charles R. Allen of Greenfield, Freshman Class President and hockey captain; John L. Dampeer of Cleveland, Ohio, Conant Prize Scholar and basketball captain; Hume Dow, of Staten Island, New York; Aldrich Durant, Jr. of Cambridge; John MacD. Graham of New York City; John Hay of New York City; Arthur N. Levine of New York City; Philip T. Shahan of Clayton, Missouri; and Paul R. Vogt of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Conant Prize Scholar.

The work of the Committee will be based on the replies from the Confidential Guide Questionnaire which was recently sent out to every member of the Class of 1938. The evidences of dissatisfaction will be placed before the Group with the suggested solutions, and it will determine first of all, whether a criticism is justified, and secondly, what is the best possible remedy.

Among the questions which will come under the scrutiny of the group are: sections in Freshman courses, the House Plan, student waiters, class elections, teaching in the Freshman year, athletics, and the Adviser System. The work is planned to take about four or five meetings of the Committee and a number of individual conferences.