AN EXPERIMENT

The ten Freshmen who start to investigate the first year at Harvard tonight have an interesting but difficult problem ahead of them. While no one will deny that the year needs a number of constructive steps, the proposal of specific remedies is a vastly more difficult question.

Should the Advisers be closer at hand to their Advisees so that they will have more direct contact with them? Should courses be conducted by men capable of inspiring enthusiasm or should the emphasis be placed on scholarship? Can any more satisfactory solution be found for the student waiter in the Union? These are only a few of the questions which will come under the Committee's scrutiny. Certainly a sane solution is needed for them and the many others like them.

The Committee is embarking on experimental waters. No similar group has even been formed at Harvard. The Confidential Guide questionnaire shows clear evidence of dissatisfaction with the Freshman year, and the job in hand is to correlate its different solutions into an attainable and constructive course. The Committee has the opportunity to accomplish a great deal, and its composition is such that it has an excellent chance. The job is important and to the Committee go our best wishes.