IGNORANCE AND BLISS

Almost coincidentally with Patriots Day, the bill requiring that all teachers take an oath to support the Constitution passed its third hearing in the lower house and is now to be sent to the upper chamber of the state legislature. This is proof positive of the legislators' patriotism and 100 per cent Americanism--at last to the American Legion, Elks and similar organizations who have waged the fight for its passage. It would be almost unfair to remind them in the glow of their present partial success that patriotism in days past meant staunch support of American traditions such as freedom of speech and tolerance of minorities.

In the midst of much sound and fury these self-style "patriotic" organizations have campaigned to legislate Communism out of the halls of learning. One of the bill's supporters--in order to be doubly safe-guarded against subversive influences--even proposed that all school employees be required to take the oath of allegiance once a week. Communism certainly must be more of a flood than is commonly supposed, if all the cracks have to be caulked weekly.

In marked contrast to its supporters, who insist on speaking of trenches, mire, and flags, etc., the opposition to the bill headed by prominent educators has replied in sober language. They view the bill merely as an aspersion on their loyalty and seek, with pathetic eagerness, to discover reasons for the bill's existence lurking somewhere in the background.

The serious implications of this measure, aimed at the handful of Communists in the teaching profession have not been fully considered. A full-blooded Communist would hardly be averse to oath-taking if his "mission of revolution" could be advanced by continuing to teach. More explanation of Communism would undoubtedly cause many unwarranted dismissals. It is impossible to subscribe to the opinion of our super-patriotic organizations that ignorance is bliss. Nor is it possible it support yellow-press inspired and emotional legislating rather than reason in the effort to thwart Communism.