SULLIVAN PLEA OF AMERICA FIRST IS NEMESIS FOR YALE

Fears Invasion of Foreign Labor if Tariff Is Cut--Princeton Downs Team In New Jersey

Stoutly maintaining that economic internationaism can have no other outcome than to involve the United States in a European war, A. Gilman Sullivan '36 led his team-mates to an unanimous victory over the Blue speakers last night in the Lowell House Common Room.

The Yale debaters argued in vain that a policy of self-sufficiency was only postponing a problem which demands settlement eventually. For the United States to look to her own interests can bring her nothing more than the ire of foreign powers. In addition they argued that fascism, dictatorship, and militarism have come with the economic nationalism of Italy and Germany.

Unstable Economic Conditions

Thomas W. Stephenson '37, arguing the Crimson case from another angle, pointed out that unstable economic conditions abroad would be reflected here by chaos. "The immigration of cheap foreign labor which must result from a lower tariff can have no other effect than to lower our standard of living," he said.

The other member of the trio, Irvin R. Murray '36, who opened Harvard's case, conceded that a policy of economic isolation could not be complete but that the United States should attempt to be self-contained inasmuch as it is possible.

Word from New Haven last night told that the Yale team supporting economic nationalism had defeated Princeton. Thomas H. Quinn '36, Powers McLean '35, and Charles B. Feibleman '36, who attacked self-sufficiency at Princeton were defeated, so economic nationalism emerges triumphant form the debate, which is consequently a draw.