The Crimson Playgoer

"The Little Colonel" Ends Sectionalism As the Band Plays Dixie

By C. C. G.

Katharine Hepburn gives, in our opinion, as excellent an exhibition of acting as she has produced so far, but the producers have let her down on the story. This is "Spitfire," now showing at the R.K.O. Keith Theatre. Laid in a poor white district somewhere in the South, "Spitfire" is a period for marking time as regards Miss Hepburn's rise to the classic heights of Greta Garbo.

Ralph Bellamy also offers a satisfactory performance. The story is such, however, that there is little opportunity to develop any emotional power or sequence of action. "Spitfire" falls into the current motion picture habit of abbreviating. The existence of Hex superstitions is indicated only by a few statements on the part of some of the local characters. A more skillful scenario writer would have given an interesting picture-illustration of this unusual phenomenon of present-day America.

The high cheek-bones and rasping voice that brought Miss Hepburn notice in her early productions seem to have faded a bit into the background. It is a good thing. A bit of extra weight looks well on her and the softer voice will increase the range of her eligible roles.

See "Spitfire." It may indicate an interesting transition in the career of a truly astonishing actress.