COOLIDGE TALKS LATIN AS SPRING INVADES HIGH TABLE

When Lowell's highest of high tables is burlesqued, the grass must be getting green in the courtyard. And when Professor Coolidge invites the parodists to join the guests of honor for coffee, spring has unquestionably arrived in Cambridge.

Last evening, eight dignified men of letters, replete with beards and Legion of Honor insignia, promenaded into the most holy sanctum of House tradition and solemnly passed the salt at a table of their own.

Full dress was in order as the customary dinner jackets were ruled inadequate to the occasion, while the plebian English was abandoned in favor of more cultured French. Messrs. Coolidge, Perkins, and Hammond, however, quickly admitted the errors of their ways, and made amends in a Latin correspondence that would have been voluble if it had not been one sided. Unfortunately, when in Lowell House, the French do not do as the Romans do.

"Le pourparlor instruit," as the menu would have called it, became noticeably sluggish while translation occupied the visitors' attention, but they finally understood they had received an invitation to coffee and preceded their inferior hosts to the less formal common room.