Tallulah Bankhead Says Censoring of Films Silly as Trying to Outlaw Gin

Actress Bored by Movies--Dislikes Early Rising Demanded by Work in Hollywood

"Life is bound by no censorship, so why should the stage, which attempts to portray life, be censored?" Tallulah Bankhead, interviewed last night at the Plymouth Theatre, was giving her opinion of the move to "clean up the stage and screen.

The lovely Tallulah, arrayed in a light green dressing gown, leaned forward and emphasized her remarks by the intensity of her voice. She is petite, just a shade over five feet, with ash blonde hair, and a trim, svelte figure.

"Surely, everyone over 21 years must know what type of play he is going to, and if he doesn't like realism, he needn't go. As for legislating against bold, modern plays, that is just as silly as trying to legislate against drinking. If a man wants to drink, he is going to do it regardless of laws."

"In Boston I can walk out of my hotel and in five minutes I think I am back in the country." Boston and Washington are her favorite American cities. "There are so many historical points I wanted to see, the first day, all I did was to run around asking people where Bunker Hill was, or where Paul Revere started riding."

"Most movies bore me. I like to go once in a while, but as for acting in them--Oh they make me got up too early in the morning."

There is only one type of role as far as the star of "Rain" is concerned, and that is light comedy, such as "Something Gay." "I love to hear the audience laugh. That is the best applause of all. In a serious drama I never feel that the audience is relaxed, and so I am always strained and tense myself. In light roles I'm always perfectly at ease."

Most of her plans for the future are nebulous. She plans to play "Something Gay" in New York for a short time, and then is going to London to revive "Rain."

Miss Bankhead was highly amused at an offer she has recently had from Hollywood from Frank Capra, the director. Columbia Pictures were planning to make "Lost Horizon," and Capra wired Miss Bankhead that they were going to change the woman missionary in the story to a prostitute, and would she please come. "That's Hollywood for you," smiled Tallulah.