The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

THROUGH THE YEARS

This editorial was written by William Henry Meeker '17, for the Crimson of March 1, 1917. Six months later the author, a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps, died in action at Pau.

Announcement was made yesterday of the appointment as Associate Professor of English of a man who perhaps more than any other stands forth as an example of what a college professor ought to be. Charles Townsend Copeland '82, completes this June the 25th year of service to his University. This appointment is a token of recognition which has long been accorded him by a host of graduate and undergraduate friends. To those who, beside the fire in Hollis 15, have taken part in his genial friendship "Copey" stands out as one of the best influences at Harvard.

For years he has urged young men to look beyond the College gates and not to stagnate in the back eddy of undergraduate content. And that his words have had results is witnessed by the occupations of his friends today. Wherever men are striving hard, wherever there is action and life, "Copey's" friends are taking part, more strongly and more nobly because they are his friends.

For his warmth of nature, for his kindliness, for his manly encouragement to youth, Harvard men of the present and of the past, salute their true "Copey," as professor, as patron and as friend.