"Election Notes"

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Never has it been necessary for an individual to criticize or give a "pre-election panning" of a candidate for Student Council Elections. It has been the custom for a great many years at Harvard for underclassmen on the Student Council to be nominated for re-election the following year. In the past, their work has been judged by the college and its opinion tacitly expressed by the number of votes returned for the various candidates. Those students who vote usually are enough interested in college affairs to know the qualifications of the candidates.

The affair of the Senior Election is past; it has been thoroughly investigated, and all the facts have been available to any normally interested student. I should hope that the undergraduate body would be allowed to judge for itself. Let us not have any pre-election harangues here at Harvard.

Please do not consider this to be in any way a consideration of the handling of the Senior Elections. It is only a plea to have Harvard avoid pre-election mud-slinging. The students who vote know for whom they are voting; let them express their opinions in the ballots; don't let us have students rise who are anxious to guide us along the right path in matters about which we all have our own opinions. John P. Scheu '35.

Ed. note--There are two tenable points of view about the Senior Elections last November. It is difficult to see how either today's letter or yesterday's letter could be construed as "mud-slinging."