HEARST NEWS IS OUSTED BY UNIVERSITY THEATRE

CAMPAIGN SPONSORED BY LIBERAL CLUB MEMBERS

Petition Signed by 1273 Harvard and Radcliffe Students and Many Faculty Members Presented to Sumner

As a climax to the Liberal Club campaign for elimination of the Hearst Metrotone News from the University Theatre, a petition containing 1273 signatures recruited from Harvard and Radcliffe students and Faculty members was presented last night to Stanley Sumner, manager of the theatre, and will result in immediate abolition of the feature in question, it was revealed.

The following statement was issued by Mr. Sumner: "I am given to understand that this signed petition represents far more than a majority of the opinion of the undergraduate body at Harvard and Radcliffe. Having given the subject careful consideration, I feel that for the best interests of the University Theatre the objectionable feature should be eliminated from our program. Consequently, the Paramount News will be shown instead until further notice."

Among the Harvard faculty members who have lent their support to the project are Bruce C. Hopper, assistant professor of Government, Max A. Shepard, instructor in Government, William P. Maddox, instructor in Government, Edward S. Mason, associate professor of Economics, Gordon W. Allport '19, associate professor of Psychology, Payson S. Wild, instructor in Government, William J. Bender '27, assistant dean, and Sarell E. Gleason, Jr. '27, instructor in History.