RICHARD S. SALANT AWARDED BOWDOIN PRIZE IN ENGLISH

To Receive Magna Cum Laude, With Highest Honors, This June--In Group One for Four Years

Richard Samuel Salant '35, of New York City, has been awarded the first prize in the Bowdoin Prize Essay contest for excellence in English essay writing, it was learned last night. The award carries a stipend of $500.

Writing on the subject "The Poets' Harp," Salant treated the handling of the moon, as a subject in poetry, by Romantic poets. This was the same essay which he submitted as his honor thesis in the Department of English.

Salant, who has maintained a high scholastic record while in college, being in group one every year, is to receive his A.B. degree, Magna Cum Laude, With Highest Honors, this June. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa.

The Bowdoin Prize was started at Harvard by the bequest of Governor James Bowdoin, of the Class of 1745, which was increased by George Sullivan Bowdoin in 1901. Nine prizes are awarded to students resident at the University, five open for competition only to undergraduates who do not hold a degree. Three of these prizes are offered for essays, two for translation into Greek and Latin.